You may upload documents by navigating to the DOCUMENT UPLOAD page, by Facsimile at 1 (800) 419-9569, or by emailing submissions@canadianvesselregistry.ca
No, we currently don’t offer a walk in service. You may however submit your registry application(s) using our secure online portal, or you may reach us at 1 (800) 419-9569
You will be required to input your credit card information at the end of each form. If you are having difficulties with your credit card, a documentation processor will contact you.
In Canada, all non-pleasure vessels powered by an engine of 10hp (7.5kw) or more and commercial river rafts must be registered with Transport Canada’s Canadian Register of Vessels or Small Vessel Register (Commercial).
The fee is $525. You may submit your application by navigating to the FIRST TIME REGISTRATION page.
A Certificate of Registry is valid for three (3) years. A Certificate of Registry will be issued to the owner or the authorized representative 30 days before it expires. To ensure that your Certificate of Registry remains valid, you must report any change(s) to the information shown on the Certificate of Registry, including a change of address, in writing, within 30 days of having made the changes. If you do not, your registration may be suspended or canceled. Anyone operating a vessel with an invalid document violates the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 and is liable to prosecution.
Tonnage is not about the weight. It is a measurement of the vessel’s internal volume. Tonnage refers to the overall volume of a vessel.
Your Certificate of Registry is not valid until you have your vessel marked according to requirements noted on the back of your Certificate of Registry:
  • Name and Port of Registry:
    • For pleasure craft and air cushion vehicles, both the name and port of registry must be marked together on a clearly visible exterior part of the hull.
    • For commercial vessels, the vessel name must be marked on each bow and the vessel name and port of the registry must be marked on the stern. If the vessel has a square bow, the name may be marked on a clearly visible exterior part of the bow. You may make the markings by any means and materials that result in durable markings. All must be at least 10 cm in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals
  • Registered tonnage and official number:
    • Both the official number and registered tonnage shown on the Certificate of Registry must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least 4 cm high on a clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. Place the abbreviation:
      • “N.R.T.” before the registered tonnage
      • “O.N.” before the official number
        • Note: Make sure these numbers are permanently affixed so that changes to, and attempts to remove or replace them would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.
For registration purposes, the property in a vessel is made up of 64 indivisible shares. Up to five people may register as joint owners of all 64 shares; and are considered as one unit, although all of their names are listed in the Canadian Register of Vessels.
You will need to file a transfer on death. You may do so by navigating to the TRANSFER ON DEATH page.
You may report a change of ownership by navigating to the TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP page.
You may request a replacement certificate by navigating to the REPLACEMENT CERTIFICATE page.
“Bare-boat Charter” means a vessel charter agreement under which the character has complete possession and control of the vessel, including the right to appoint its master and crew.
  • Bare-boat Charter (IN)
    • A vessel registered in a foreign country that is bare-boat chartered exclusively to a qualified person may be listed as a bare-boat chartered vessel if, for the duration of the charter, the registration is suspended in respect of the right to fly the flag of that country. You may submit your application by navigating to the BARE-BOAT CHARTERED VESSELS page.
  • Bare-boat Charter (OUT)
    • A vessel registered in Canada applying for bare-boat charter will lose its right to fly the Canadian flag while it remains on the registry of a foreign country as a bare-boat chartered vessel.
The name of a vessel is not available until the Registry is officially closed.
The authorized representative has the overall responsibility for safety of the vessel. Even though not always on board, the authorized representative must ensure that the vessel’s machinery and equipment meet the requirements of the Act and Regulations.The authorized representative is also responsible for notifying Vessel Registration should any changes be made to the vessel, including alterations, changes in address or removal from service, as per section 58 of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001.
Vessels (dinghy or zodiac, etc.) that are considered part of the lifesaving equipment of the registered vessel (not used for any purpose other than evacuation) do not have to be registered but should be marked “TENDER TO [NAME AND OFFICIAL NUMBER OF THE REGISTERED VESSEL]”. If it is not part of the lifesaving equipment, then it must either be licensed or registered separately.
A vessel whose number begins with the letter “C” (e.g. C00000BC) is a small commercial vessel, which was either licensed prior to July 1, 2007, or registered as of July 1, 2007 in the Small Vessel Registered.
A vessel whose number begins with a number, and/or a letter (e.g., 32E 00000 or BC 00000) is a licensed pleasure craft.
You may close the registry of your vessel by navigating to the DELETION page.
A Certificate of Registry should not be laminated. For some authorities, laminating a certificate would invalidate it as an official document. Once a documenta has been laminated, it is no longer available for definitive review to determine its validity or authenticity. It is recommended to keep the Certificate in a plastic bag, pouch, etc. to protect it.
A mortgage is a legal document that creates a security for a loan or other financial consideration, whereby, the registered vessel or share or a share of it is used as security. The person using the vessel as security and receiving the loan is called the mortgagor. The person taking the vessel as security and usually giving the loan is called the mortgagee.Only vessels registered in the Canadian Registry of Vessels can have mortgages recorded against them.
Registration is a title system for vessel ownership. It is similar to land title registry. Registration allows for name approval and mortgage registration except in the case of a vessel registered in the Small Vessel Register. Vessels under construction: A vessel that is about to be built or that is under construction in Canada may be temporarily recorded in the Register as a vessel being built in Canada. While not required by law, pleasure craft owners may choose to register their vessels.
This registry applies to vessels of all types and sizes including pleasure and commercial. This type of registration is required for: -Vessels more than 15 gross tonnes used for commercial purposes, including government-owned vessels -Vessels that require marine mortgages -If you are planning to travel outside of Canada for extended periods of timeYou may also choose to register your pleasure craft in the Canadian Register of Vessels if you wish to have an approved name and port of registry for your vessel or show proof of ownership.
This registry only applies to commercial (non-pleasure) vessels that are 15 gross tons or less. This type of registration is required for: Vessels less than or equal to 15 gross tonnes used for commercial purposes with propulsion motors of 10 horsepower (7.5kW) or more (if unsure of tonnage, check this explanation of tonnage measurements) commercial river rafts government-owned vessels with propulsion motors of 10 horsepower (7.5kW) or more This type of registration is not required if: Your vessel does not or will not have a mortgage You do not wish to register an “official” name You don’t intend to travel outside of Canada
A pleasure craft is a vessel that is used for recreation and does not carry passengers. It is a vessel of a prescribed class under the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. NOTE: For the purposes of this definition, a “passenger” is a person who has paid a fee to be transported in a commercial vessel. A “guest” does not need to pay a fee.
Yes, if your vessel is over 10 hp and it has not been registered in the Canadian Register of Vessels. A pleasure craft licence provides a unique identification number – commonly referred to as the “licence number” – that you must display on your recreational vessel, as required under the Small Vessel Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. This licence number helps law-enforcement and search and rescue officials trace a pleasure craft to its owner.
There is a fine of $250 if you are found to be operating a vessel without a valid licence. However, if you decided to register your vessel instead of licensing it, there is no fine.
No, your vessel may be Registered or it may be Licenced. However, it cannot be both.
Your Pleasure Craft Licence number must be displayed on each side of the bow of your vessel, above the waterline, in block characters that are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high and in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.
For a vessel built in Canada, provide: Builder’s Certificate If the vessel was built for you (the applicant), you must provide the Builder’s Certificate. If you purchased the vessel, you must provide the builder’s certificate and any intervening Bill(s) of Sale demonstrating complete sequence of title. For a foreign-built vessel, provide: Either the notarized Bill of Sale from the last foreign owner to you; or if you are not the first Canadian owner, all Bills of Sale showing the sequence of title up to you; and Proof of closing the vessel’s foreign registry, free and clear of all encumbrances, with a “Deletion Certificate”.
Transport Canada Marine Transportation